3.06.2007

Buffalo Exchange 2, Stv Mllr 1

It's come to the point where I've squeezed every penny I can out of Buffalo Exchange with my current wardrobe. Here's how I came to that conclusion:

-LESS THAN TWO MONTHS AGO: My sister and I each lugged in a garbage bag full of old clothes into the Hawthorne store. In the end, we split $30 in store credit. She bought a handbag, I picked up a pair of hardly worn shoes, they made $8 out of the deal, and we made two generous deposits to their donation bin.

-LAST WEEK: I haul a mesh laundry bag full of more rags into the Burnside store. I was confident that the buyer at this store wouldn't be picky with my treasures. She must've been the manager, and yes, she was picky. She probably snatched no more than five articles and returned to me the burden of these faded fashions. On a good note, I made about $50 in store credit, with which I purchased a retro Adidas track jacket and a couple shirts, and I walked out with eight bucks! ADVANTAGE: BUFFALO EXCHANGE

-TODAY: There was still a mesh bag almost full of clothes in the backseat of my car. So I thought I'd take them back to the Hawthorne store, which hadn't seen these selections yet. ADVANTAGE: STEVE

Things felt good when I walked in. The buyer was a dude, who I thought would surely appreciate my offerings. As he looked through my garments, he sorted them in two piles. The stuff I expected him to take went in to one pile, and the crap went into the other. But once he examined the last piece of clothing, he put it in the "NO" pile, and then like a magician, he consolidated the two piles and shoved it all back into my bag. "I didn't see anything we need, but thanks for stopping in," he said. I walked out with the same feeling of rejection that's overcome me recently after every random job interview and personality test. ADVANTAGE: BUFFALO EXCHANGE

No comments: